Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Music story time

A couple of weeks ago, I did a music story time for the preschool kids at the center. I thought I'd share with you what I did with them, as it could give you ideas to do at home or with other children you work with.

After singing our "Hello Time" song, I brought out a friend who I've had for a long time. His name is Tex. Do you want to meet him?:)

He's a kooky-looking sort of fellow that the kids say looks like a monkey! Honestly, I don't know what he is, but he sure is a lot of fun for the kids.

The first book I read is called, Animal Music, by Harriet Ziefert. With simple rhyme, it shared a couple of stories about animals who played different instruments.

After that first book, we sang a song called "Farm Sounds" and it is sung to the tune of "The Wheels on the Bus." I used my farm animal puppets as we sang each verse.

The cow in the barn goes moo, moo, moo,
moo, moo, moo, moo, moo, moo,
The cow in the barn goes moo, moo, moo,
All around the farm.

The pig in the pen goes oink, oink, oink,
oink, oink, oink, oink, oink, oink,
The pig in the pen goes oink, oink, oink,
All around the farm.

The hens in the coop go cluck, cluck, cluck,
cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck,
The hens in the coop go cluck, cluck, cluck,
All around the farm.

The lambs on the hill go baa, baa, baa,
baa, baa, baa, baa, baa, baa,
The lambs on the hill go baa, baa, baa,
All around the farm.

The second book I read is called Our Marching Band, by Lloyd Moss. This story was also a poem about kids who were learning their instruments to play in a band. When I was done, I pulled out an instrument that a lot of kids learn before they begin playing a band instrument--a recorder.

I played a simple tune on it, then showed them my husband's trombone. He taught me how to put it together and play it so they could hear what it sounds like. I don't know how to play songs on it, so the sound that came out was pretty interesting!

The last book I read is called Max found Two Sticks, by Brian Pinkney. I really enjoyed this story and the beautiful illustrations. A young boy finds two sticks outside then plays them on different objects during the day. It's a great way to introduce rhythm to children.

I had the kids play their sticks (their pointer fingers) while I sang the following song:

Tap your sticks (to the tune of "row, row, row your boat")
by Jean Warren

Tap, tap, tap your sticks
tap your sticks today,
Tap them high, tap them low,
Tap them every way.

I brought along a CD with Sousa band music and had the kids pretend to play instruments as we walked in a circle a few times. We ended our time by singing the "Good-bye song" and Tex even came out to give them hugs.

Our story time was a lot of fun and we all had a great time!

No comments: